The science of miraDry
What goes on during the treatment is actually pretty simple. The miraDry System uses thermal energy that targets and eliminates the sweat and odor glands in your underarm. Once those glands are eliminated, they do not grow back. Goodbye, sweat stains!
- Don’t I need sweat glands?
- While your body does need sweat glands to cool itself, your body has 2-4 million sweat glands and only about 2% are found in your underarms.2 Eliminating 2% of sweat glands does not affect your body’s ability to cool itself. After miraDry, you will experience the many benefits of reducing sweat in the underarm area, but you will continue to sweat normally in other areas of your body.
- How does it work?
- miraDry uses thermal energy to create heat in the area where bothersome sweat and odor glands reside and safely eliminates them.
- What results can I expect?
- You can expect immediate and lasting results.1 Once the miraDry treatment eliminates the sweat and odor glands, they’re gone for good. The treatment is clinically proven to have an average of 82% sweat reduction and 89% odor reduction.1,5 As with any aesthetic treatment, patient results and experiences may vary.
- How many treatments will I need?
- You can see results in as little as one treatment.1 However, as with any aesthetic treatment, your physician will determine the best protocol for your desired results.
- How long does it take?
- An appointment will generally last about one hour.1
- Is there any pain or downtime?
- Most patients describe the procedure as painless with little to no downtime. Local anesthesia is administered to the underarms prior to the treatment for patient comfort. Most patients return to regular activity (like returning to work) immediately. Exercise is typically resumed within several days. You may experience swelling, numbness, bruising, and sensitivity in the underarm area for several days after treatment.
- Is it safe?
- Yes, miraDry has been used in over 140,000 treatments worldwide with an excellent safety record.3 It’s also been cleared by the FDA to dramatically reduce underarm sweat in as little as one appointment.1
- Are there any side effects?
- Some localized soreness or swelling will occur, and typically clear within a few weeks. Some patients have short-term altered sensation in the skin of their underarms or upper arms, which gradually disappears.
- How much does it cost?
- Pricing can vary depending on the treatment protocol to achieve your desired results and will be discussed during your consultation with your physician. According to RealSelf.com, miraDry treatments are generally about $2,000 nationwide.
- Is miraDry covered by insurance?
- miraDry typically is not covered by insurance, but it is the first and only treatment FDA-cleared to permanently reduce underarm sweat in as little as one appointment.1 However, you may be able to use your HSA/FSA funds toward miraDry. Please contact your HSA/FSA manager to find out.
Information and media from
1. Lupin M, Hong HC, O’Shaughnessy KF. Long-term efficacy and quality of life assessment for treatment of axillary hyperhidrosis with a microwave device. Dermatol Surg. 2014;40(7):805-807. 2. Taylor NAS, Machado-Moreira CA. Regional variations in transepidermal water loss, eccrine sweat gland density, sweat secretion rates and electrolyte composition in resting and exercising humans. Extrem Physiol Med. 2013;2:4. 3. Data on file. miraDry, Inc. 4. RealSelf miraDry “Worth It” ratings over all time, sourced September 26, 2018. 5. Hong HC, Lupin M, and O’Shaughnessy KF. Clinical evaluation of a microwave device for treating axillary hyperhidrosis. Dermatol Surg. 2012;38(5):728-735.